Good trip, unfortunate reason. Charles William Henry Greer was laid to rest. My father's father. He was 93 years old. That is 60 years my senior. When I think of his life, all the children and grandchildren..I couldn't help but fondly feel as though he may be gone in body but he will continue to run through all of us.
It was really nice to sit, talk, laugh, and cry with them. I haven't really felt that warm, and cozy family getogether feeling in a long time. I realize, not only do I miss it, I will strive to procure that for my own children.
I am normally not an overly emotional person, but as of late I notice at times my emotions overcome me. My older cousin mentioned to me that people would assume that she and I would be the last to shed tears, because we come across as unfazed by a lot of things I suppose. It didn't take me long to go through my kleenex stash. I was taken aback seeing my grown, tough uncles, breaking down. My father, unfortunately not among them. I was hoping, I would see something..holding his face/tear on his cheek/full out cry. Nothing..not at all. My father is still a stranger to me. That got me thinking, when in my life will I ever see my father cry..at my wedding? first child? for some reason I doubt it. He makes no apologies for not showing emotion. The rest of us just have to deal with it.
I didn't get a chance to do much sightseeing, it was a short getaway. It was a beautiful send off. I miss him. Whenever someone close to you passes away, I think human instinct makes you think of your own mortality. How life can be here one moment, and gone the next. At any given moment are you enjoying what you are doing and who are you are doing it with? The small, ridiculous things that we argue, fight, hold grudges over are really not worth the negative energy. My father, his siblings are now the matriarchs of the 'Greer/Grenaway' children. It's almost like a changing of the guards.
No comments:
Post a Comment