Monday, August 31, 2009

My thoughts on tonight's episode of Dateline..



So tonight's episode was about the whole Steve McNair scandal. I found the story very interesting. Before hearing about his passing, I didn't know who he was. Once I started asking some guys they were all very familiar with him. Dateline showed a side I hadn't read or heard about. He was a great leader, gave back to the community, didn't abuse his celebrity, and a great father. The reporter spoke quite a bit to McNair's ex-teammate Eddy George. He looked familiar but I liked how he communicated his thoughts. It was like asking someone who had that inside pass of professional sports. The women, the money, the life, and how it comes quickly. He explained that not all athletes cheat but temptation is EVERYWHERE. He definitely wanted to get across that cheating and sports are not one in the same and that all men have challenges. He said that McNair's widow is going through grief, anger, and humiliation. The broad strokes of the story is that he had a 19 year old mistress for 6 months which he shared a love nest and purchased a new Escalade for her. They were both found at the apartment shot dead due to murder suicide. Crazy. My thoughts immediately go to Mrs. McNair. How do you explain to your children that your daddy's mistress shot him to death?! Throughout the program they discussed how much money he made while playing, somewhere in the range of $90 million. He had no will, so it may take years to settle his estate. Now someone tell me for a man that made that much money he has people on the payroll:business managers, agents, accountants, lawyers, publicist and no one said 'Hey Steve, you should get a will'. That just sounds odd. A very sad way to end your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment